Thursday, 27 October 2011

Daring Bakers' October 2011 Challenge: Pretty Povitica

This will have to be a short post, with the recipe for my fillings and my dairy-free recipe conversion to follow later, since I've got a lot of things on my to-do list for this evening! But I didn't want to miss the posting date...

The Daring Bakers' October 2011 challenge was Povitica, hosted by Jenni of The Gingered Whisk. Povitica is a traditional Eastern European Dessert Bread that is as lovely to look at as it is to eat!

It is probably the prettiest bread I have ever made or eaten.

I made three loaves, and filled one with chocolate and almond (which I took in to work to share for my turn on the cake rota - yes, we are that obsessed with cake!), one with crushed gingernut biscuits and roughly pureed peaches, which we ate, and the third with a leftover mix of both mixtures, which I'm taking visiting at the weekend.

Here they are...

Close up of the interior of the chocolate and almond loaf
Chocolaty-almondy-symmetry
2 loaves after baking - coffee glazed and hiding their exciting interior well!
Disposable loaf tins - better in theory than practice!

Gooey peach and gingernut loveliness

17 comments:

  1. Chocolate and almond! Two of my favourite things. And you did more than one version...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate, I love chocolate. And your other filling also looks delicious. And great swirls in your povitica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. peach+gingernut,sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...looks utterly delicious...excellent try..
    first time here...love your space..
    very interesting posts with nice presentation..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM - your fillings sound delicious and your breads look like swirly perfection. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, this was definitely one of the prettiest breads ever :) Both of your fillings sound tasty, especially the peach-gingernut one. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your povitica is really gorgeous! You made some lovely swirls :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow peach and ginger! I'll have to try that :) Gorgeous poviticas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. chocolate and almond? wow! and disposable cake pans? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful job on your povitica! They turned out marvelously well! I think your fillings sound super delicious, too! The disposable bread tins are very interesting, are those cardboard?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. peaches and gingernut..wow!
    great job on this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. I with you that this was a most delicious challenge! Great work on your part. Best, Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poviticas are gorgeous - perfect swirlies! The peach - gingernut looks an sounds absolutely divine! I think I need some disposable bread pans! Beautifully done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say that the disposable loaf tins were better in theory than practice! But I got them from Lakeland (in the UK) if anyone is interested. I think they would be good for cake, like banana loaf etc, that has a higher fat content, and might work better for bread if greased first, even though the packet said you didn't need to! You live and learn...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love both the combinations. Well done indeed. Povitica was one of the prettiest breads I've ever made as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks absolutely gorgeous! I wish I'd been able to part in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gingernuts and peaches? That was a stroke of genius! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...