Thursday, 22 December 2011

Random Recipes 11: Rocket Parmesan & Pear Salad (sadly without the parmesan!)

December's Random Recipe Challenge - hosted by the ever ingenious Dom at Belleau Kitchen was to make a recipe from a cook book that you rarely use, then give it away to charity, (The book, not the cooking!) which was a lovely idea, and a welcome antidote to all the mince pie and Christmas cake type posts flying around. Not that they aren't delicious and lovely too, of course, but sometimes it's possible to get a bit Christmassed out. And of course, charity shops are always on the look out for donations, many with stock appeals at this time of year, so it's a win win situation!



My book was World Cuisine Italy (1) which I think may have come from a newspaper at some point in the past, but is a fairly substantial book that had languished unused and unloved on my cookbook shelf.



I asked my sister, the lovely Auntie L to choose me a random recipe, and she picked Rocket, Parmesan and Pear salad, or Insalata di Rucola, Parmigiano e Pera if we're going to be Italian about it.

Since I'm still non-dairy, it immediately lost one of it's three key ingredients, and became Rocket and Pear Salad, which was thankfully still peppery, sweet, and tangy with a dressing of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

So yet again, not what I was supposed to make, but lovely all the same. Don't be scared of adding pears to your winter salads - they are fantastic - I am a convert!


1 comment:

  1. well you see, I do try and make things good for everyone!... this salad is THE perfect antidote for too much Christmas and delicious with or without cheese... the book is rather an odd one though, so lucky charity shop!... thanks for taking part once again

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...