Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Daring Bakers' June 2012: Battenberg

This month's Daring Bakers' challenge was a very British affair!

Mandy of What The Fruitcake?! came to our rescue last minute to present us with the Battenberg Cake challenge! She highlighted Mary Berry's techniques and recipes to allow us to create this unique little cake with ease.

I used the recipe pretty much as it was described in the challenge post (I know - a rare occurrence). I made the usual dairy-free-margarine-for-butter substitution, chose the ground almonds option rather than ground rice, and instead of adding food colouring, went with adding some finely chopped dried cherries to one half of my mix.

The finished cake
I baked my mixture in a square roasting tin, with a makeshift partition made of tinfoil and greaseproof paper, as suggested in the challenge instructions - it worked a dream - great tip!

Almond on the left, cherry on the right
Since there was an open block of marzipan in the cupboard from the dessert section of Mr E's amazing three course meal pie (which will be the subject of a future blog post, but I thought I had to share a glimpse of it's glory here...) I used that to cover it.

Three courses, one pie, a feat of pastry engineering!
I thought it looked a bit plain, particularly without the pink chequerboard effect...

Unadorned
So I decided to decorate the top with some freehand piping in dark chocolate icing, topped off with some tiny edible stars.

These are the same swirls I grafitti-ed over all of my high school jotters!
We enjoyed most of it during Sunday brunch with friends and family last weekend, and the remainder has cheered up our packed lunch boxes during the first half of the week.

A Daring Bakers' success I think!

22 comments:

  1. Your cake is really lovely - especially with all that freehand piping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Wish I had been able to use the right wrapping material. And your decoration is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piping on the top, it just finishes it off! I've got a battenberg on my to make list and having seen this, I must get round to making it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely !!
    The graffiti swirls look beautiful.
    Battenburg cake is on my bucket list and has worked its way to the top........

    ReplyDelete
  5. your decorations look fantastic...a real showpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chocolate swirls on top of the cake. Perfectly done and awesome job. I had fun doing this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful swirls! Reminds me of my wedding cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful Battenburg you have there. I especially love that piped art you have on top. Great job on another wonderfully completed challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the swirls but those edible stars! Man! Where did you even find those? Great job with the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth your battebburg cake is gorgeous and I love the decoration on the top, BUT I am very distracted by your teaser of the 3 course pie! I will have to come back to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful cake! Love the piping on top, but especially love the idea of introducing a different texture into half of the cake with the cherries. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! The piping is great and I love how even you got all your squares - looks very pro!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the decoration look really amazing, and it's funny that I also remember the pattern from my teenage years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely flavour combination. Love the piping decorating work - beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've never made battenberg but I do love it so much... I may have to follow the recipe and go for it... although I may go for a traditional pink and yellow version!... love the piping and stars on to too... but CLEARLY am very intrigued about that three course creature... cannot WAIT for that post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is so chic!!!
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty!for some reason reminds me of Lord of the rings doors to moria (i'm such a geek) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it! Especially the decoration on top! You must be really patient!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your freehand swirl decorations look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Battenburg is so elegant - the decoration is wonderful. Thanks for dropping by my blog - yes the icing was delicious

    ReplyDelete
  21. i just love your piping !! looks awesome ! am sure it was a great tasting cake too

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've got awesome piping skills! :) You did a tremendous job on this challenge, between the flavors, the beautiful looking sponge, and the wonderful presentation. Really great job.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...