Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Random Recipes #28: Bread

The theme for May's Random Recipes challenge, hosted as every at Belleau Kitchen is bread.

My Dad makes awesome bread. (In fact Mini-M regularly requests "Grandad's Bread")

I don't. Most of my bread making attempts have been distinctly doughy in the middle, and somewhat stunted in stature.

I did consider getting him to make some, then passing it off as my own but I'm a terrible fibber! Plus I've posted plenty of other culinary failures here over the past few years, so why not add bread to the list.

Since this is the 28th Random Recipes challenge, I decided to take the 28th recipe book from my shelf and hope that it had some bread recipe in it, so I ended up with "Ottolenghi The Cookbook". And indeed, there on page 166 was a recipe for Sour Cherry and Walnut Stick. It didn't make a huge quantity, which sounded ideal - small scale disasters are always preferable!

Not so 'stick' like...
Did I follow the recipe properly... of course not. I think I should have called my blog "I-Can't-Follow-A-Recipe" rather than "Makey-Cakey".

My substitutions were more minor than on some occasions - raisins for sour cherries (a change to flavour rather than texture) and millet flour instead of buckwheat flour. (Only a small amount - the primary flour is seeded wholemeal wheat flour) - again probably not critical.

I attempted to follow the method to the letter - but it is written for using and electric stand mixer, which I don't have. My food processor does have a 'dough' blade, which I decided to give a go. Now, as you'll have gathered I'm no bread expert, however I'm pretty sure that being battered against the sides of the food mixer in a high speed ball isn't the right sort of kneading to stretch the gluten and whatever else you need to do to make bread light and bready. And I think this is borne out in the finished product - a tasty but rather dense loaf! If I was being a harsh self critic, I might liken it to dwarf bread... but much tastier!
A little dense - just like me!

I will definitely give this recipe another go - although still not following the actual recipe! Next time I'll ditch the mixer and knead by hand.

But... all is not lost - it is cooked in the middle! An improvement on previous form :o)

6 comments:

  1. what i'm loving about this challenge is that it really does seem to be pushing people to challenge themselves. I'm so glad you entered, it does look dense but it also looks very tasty and sometimes I like that cakey texture that bread has... I bet this is amazing toasted with butter!... thanks so much for the entry xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mhhh beautiful and yummy bread!!
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread still looks lovely :) Cooking is all about experimentation and adaptation anyway, isn't it? My father says recipes are more like guidelines. If all else fails you could use your food processor and make this into breadcrumbs for use in something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, can't follow a recipe, I like it. I suspect most of us food bloggers are guilty of that. I've never tried making bread with a machine, but so little is needed in the way of kneading (I'm beginning to confuse myself) these days, that it's not a big issue. I kneaded mine made with wholemeal flour for about a minute and it was fine. anyway, I'm with Dom, yours looks good and I'd certainly love a slice or two toasted with butter - my mouth is watering at the very thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great article and I will be certainly taking a look at this site so thanks for sharing.It may what I've looking for.
    Accounts Software For Small Business
    Simran Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too hard on yourself! You should never judge a book by its cover .....and look it was cooked in the middle and if you hadn't said it should be a stick no one would have known. Good looking loaf to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...