Tuesday, 30 September 2014

September 2014 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Koláče

So….. 27th September was supposed to be Daring Bakers' posting day, HOWEVER I was a little bit preoccupied with this lot (or 50% of this lot, to be more precise!):


All freshly baked by myself and my good friend Mrs H for an afternoon tea fundraiser in aid of Buttle UK which we hosted on the 28th.

So I'm classing that as a very good excuse to my late posting (and possibly a topic for a future blog post in its own right).

But for now, it's time for a virtual journey to the Czech Republic for some traditional sweet treats called koláče.

Blog checking lines:
The September Daring Bakers' challenge was brought to us by Lucie from ChezLucie. She challenged us to make a true Czech treat - Kolaches.

She shared recipes for three different types of Koláčes - different variants of sweet enriched bread with fillings ranging from quark to poppy seeds and jam.


I chose to make the Moravske Koláčes - a speciality from Moravia which are traditionally filled with two fillings: plum jam and quark, and topped with a streusel topping.

As usual, I didn't have the right ingredients, and I was trying to make it low-dairy. Mini-M can have a little bit now, but not into the realm of quark-filled buns just yet! So I substituted thick coconut milk yoghurt (I used Coyo plain) and homemade blackcurrant jam made by Granny E. I used regular milk but dairy-free margarine in the dough instead of butter.


These buns were a roller coaster to make. Initial excitement, then abject despair when the dough refused to rise (probably not that surprising given the vintage of the yeast I used). However 3.5hours later, I decided just to bake them and see what happened, and lo and behold they rose - phew!


The end result was delicious - Mini-M was smitten. They have now been reminisced about on more than one occasion since the eating, and are referred to as "proper buns" - as opposed to cupcake buns.

There is an excellent and comprehensive recipe available on the Daring Kitchen which I'm not going to recreate here, but I do thoroughly recommend you try it out. They are fantastic, and I'll definitely be making them again. Although first I might have to give Jagodzianki a try - the Koláčes have brought back a taste for my favourite Polish bake - a sweet bread filled with blueberries - one of these from the corner shop was a lunchtime treat when I did my summer placement in Warsaw quite a few years ago now.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that spread looks great and so do your Kolaches. So glad that your daughter could enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've always wanted to join a bake-off for charity. It's good that your kolach eventually rose in the oven. Yeast can be hit and miss for me also. But this cake/buns are so worth the effort. My daughter also enjoyed my kolach but next time I'll try one with jam like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ruth for baking with me :-) I like the combination of coconut and black currant despite it is not typical for our country.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...